Director of Engineering
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to join the DWFritz Automation team. Reporting to the VP of Engineering, the Director of Engineering will be expected to challenge the status quo. This position will act as key leader across the company to lead, manage and coordinate the engineering department, research and development activities and project management.
The Director of Engineering:
- Works closely with the VP of Engineering on manufacturing plans, goals, systems, and future innovations.
- Promotes a creative and innovative work environment.
- Coordinates with Sales, Marketing, Engineering, Manufacturing and Sr. Management to implement new company business.
- Implements processes to ensure that the organization is efficient and delivers quality products.
- Establishes a budget and performance standards for the engineering department.
- Sets overall objectives for approved development projects, including project schedules and deadlines.
- Works effectively with business development, product & project management and engineers to allocate engineering resources appropriately across various projects in a matrix organization.
- Supervisory Responsibilities – this key leader will be a member of the leadership team. S/he will be responsible for the following engineering teams:
- Electrical Engineering
- Project Management
- Technical Documentation
- Project Services
Specific Job Skills:
- Excellent leadership skills with ability to motivate staff towards excellence and achievement of company’s goals and objectives.
- Strong, resilient, results driven, and self-directed individual with personal commitment to excellence.
- Excellent organization, problem solving and time management skills.
- Cross-disciplinary management experience - must be capable of forging relationships across groups and have the ability to negotiate and distill requirements down to their architectural elements.
- Ability to mentor, coach, lead and develop talent in a dynamic environment in order to build the required capabilities and to attract/retain the best talent.
- Ability to present to and influence the Senior Management Team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and documentation skills.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 10 to 15 years of engineering experience with product design and development, 4-7 years of experience in a Management role
- Knowledge of engineering issues and practices
- Knowledge of 3D CAD
- Experience with LEAN/Continuous Improvement methods and techniques
- Experience building and leading cross-functional teams
- Experience working with domestic and international vendors
- Previous experience in a leadership role
- Proven ability to manage timelines, budgets and to meet requirements
- Demonstrated and proved experience in organizational change management
- Experience managing teams on-site as well as off-site is a huge plus
Working conditions include the possibility of working long hours during project deadlines, moderate workload pressure, some evening work, and up to 10% travel.