Automation Applications Technician
We have an immediate need for two Automation Applications Technicians. The Automation Applications Technician is a key liaison between production and the applications and controls engineers on sophisticated automated machine development projects. In this role you will work with industrial PC's, servos, sensors and PLC's in a machine controls environment. Machines may involve machine vision, optics and lasers. You will assemble and test industrial PC's, load operating systems and vendor software, and then initialize and check out machines through final acceptance requirements.
Automation Application Technician:
- Works with the engineering development team in the electrical and electronic assembly, test and debug of custom robotic systems.
- Tests to make sure that machinery has the capability to carry out desired functions.
- Assembles, troubleshoots and tests industrial PC computer systems, software, and inspects electrical and electronic assemblies.
- Participates in design reviews and provides feedback regarding electrical design, quality, schedule, conformance standards and time estimates to complete projects.
- Tests alternative techniques and methods; recommends change in procedures or equipment as necessary.
- Directs electrical work done by technicians and contract personnel within project teams when assigned.
- Stays current with applicable industry, automation and manufacturing technologies.
- Industrial control system fabrication, installation and troubleshooting.
- PLC understanding and familiarity to make program changes as directed.
- Supervises C.E. testing, recommends solutions and implements changes to assure C.E. conformance.
- Provides general assistance in the installation and repair of product at customer's facility.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent electrical and electronic troubleshooting at the system level. Ability to interpret electrical and electronic schematics and wiring diagrams.
- Ability to use PLC's and PC controls, including using PLC for troubleshooting.
- Strong understanding of PC's and operating systems in industrial control applications.
- Experience in the application of AC/DC motors and controls, solid-state variable speed controllers and the application of servomotors and controls.
- Good quality soldering skills and the ability to operate hand tools, power tools, multi-meter, oscilloscope, frequency counter and other basic electrical and electronic test equipment.
- Ability to work in a team environment. Good interpersonal, communication, and time management skills.
- Ability to read, write and understand English. Good color vision.
- Must possess a valid driver's license, acceptable driving record, and proof of current vehicle insurance.
- Physical capabilities include extended time sitting, standing and ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Education and Experience:
- 5 years of experience in machine controls, system level integration and electrical assembly.
- AS degree in electronics/electricity or equivalent. Additional experience in lieu of degree is acceptable.
- Experience in PC hardware, software with Windows XP / Windows 7 in the industrial setting required.
- Unix experience, C, C++ or Visual Basic programming a plus.
- Working knowledge of electrical standards such a NFPA 79, NEC, UL509, MIL and CE a plus.